Friday 24 March 2017

Selfish Us In A Selfless World.



When the title of this piece came to me while I was in the bathroom taking a shower, I got frozen for a bit because I was lost in the depth of the sound of it and needed to take a moment to understand or at least have a clue of what inspiration was bringing to the table and then I thought about the selfish nature of man and how the world has been created so wonderfully and yet so beautifully and how God has given us dominion over everything in it. You know, you can be who you want and what you want to be, you just have to ask yourself what you intend doing with your life.

We need to stop blaming everything on the world, what you ask of it is what it gives, period. Our selfish nature makes life more difficult and complicated than it literally is. We tend to use one another to get what we want in order to attain a particular height but how much longer do we think it will take before we fall. There is no shortcut in life, if you go in through the window, be rest assured to fall right back, only that this time you may fall harder up against your back and might never be able to rise.



Why do we remember one another only when we need something? Friendship these days are built on what the other party has to offer and the moment they seize to do so, we are quick to show them the way out. Gone are the days when one would say “What are friends for if not for inconveniences”, right now the only logical expression worth using is “What the heck are you bringing to the table”. Basically, there is some self-interest behind every friendship. In other words, there’s no friendship without self-interest and that’s the bitter truth. We tend to use and dump one another and the circle just keeps moving on.

What an ungrateful race we are walking through the surface of the earth heartlessly, if our creator was half as selfish as we are, don’t you think he would have had all the ‘red light specials’ to himself and made the babies all by himself even after creation and just put us in the world without a single erection or the ladies having to save their virginity till or before marriage. We are dame so good with using one another. It comes naturally and I guess it should be added to the list of our skill acquisition program and we can get to teach it to our unborn children since it has become a fast and easy way to get ourselves out of the box whenever we find ourselves in an uncompromising situation.




Apparently, whatever we don’t suffer for will never stand the test of time. If you use that lady or gentleman you call your friend to get over your emotional trauma or whatever situation the circumstances of life must have dished at you, be rest assured that a bigger and more nerve wrecking heartbreak is just around the corner. There is no shortcut in life, I repeat. Let us love and appreciate one another for who we are and not what we are or expect to get out of the intending union.

Life would be more easy and splendid only if we begin to see it from a selfless point of view and I believe this goes out to every one of us because even I authoring this piece isn’t left out as I am equally as guilty, at least up till that very moment the liquid soup washed off through my back to the grey shinning tiles of my bathroom floor. However, I decided to live the next minute without a single guilt as I rinsed it all off by the birth of this piece and hope the towel of change is there for you as it was for me to dry it all up and then you can step out clean and ready to fit into a new garment.



A word they say is enough for the wise, you can keep using people all you want but have it at the back of your mind that you’re only helping them pave a way for a greater glory because they will definitely be getting a payback for their good deeds while you bury yourself ignorantly in life’s deepest ocean and you really don’t want to take that dive, trust me. It is a beautiful world we live in and we can choose to help each other rather than use one another. It balls down to partnership basically but the motive is what differs and really matters and that’s where we all seem to fail. You can give me a couple Naira notes because my leg stinks so badly and I’m desperately in need of a new shoe but don’t expect me to polish yours in return.

Until we get to that stage where we don’t expect something back for favors done, life seemingly would be difficult and unrealistic even in our imagination. And the truth is, we can’t imagine what we don’t believe and believing starts with setting ourselves free and that means finding our true self. I wish to go on and on but I rather just stop now when I still can because I don’t seem to trust my pen, it is really bad at patching up wounds and may bleed for days. And with that said, I am grateful for today’s inspiration and pray the good Lord helps us to reconnect with our old selfless selves and begin to love and treat one another with respect and pull each other up as we climb and not break others down to climb. God bless.

Kay Magnate

No comments:

Post a Comment